An old friend with whom I need to become reacquainted

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Out of whack!

It's amazing how not working out for a few days can throw things out of whack! Last week and this week, I've really struggled in the first half of the week. This includes working out, going to school, getting out of bed, and just feeling alive. I'm not sure what's going on. I do know, though, that working out on Wednesdays gets the rest of my week back on track.

I subscribe to Fitness Magazine, and there's a great article in the newest issue about a therapist/counselor who does fitness therapy with her clients. Nearly all of them told her that exercise helped them with the issues they were working on with her, and some of them started to ask her if they could work out during their sessions. So, she started to accommodate their requests and is doing a lot of fitness therapy sessions now. What a fabulous idea!!!!!!!

When I was going to a counselor to work through issues related to my divorce in 2006, there would very rarely be a single session where I didn't say that exercise helps me feel better about everything. EVERYTHING!

I quit working out, and it has been about 2 years of not working out and struggling to deal with issues of anxiety, depression, and feeling like I have a purpose. In the last month, I've worked out at least 3 times a week every week, I've lost a few pounds, and I'm feeling a lot better.

For me, things usually get a little worse before they get better, though. I saw this in my weight. Immediately after starting to work out, my weight spiked like 4 pounds...scared the crap out of me! But I kept persisting. I'm still working through the "getting worse" part of my personal self. Thankfully, I know that if I keep working out, that will facilitate me being able to make more progress in that area. :)

Tomorrow is my weigh-in...I hope I lost at least 1 lb this week. That's a good trend!!

1 comment:

H.E.A. said...

Sometimes its amazing how I don't even realize how much NOT working out affects me. In my attitude, my outlook and perspective, my overall productivity. Its CRAZY. So sometimes I just HAVE to make myself go and then I'm reminded to stop being an idiot and just go when I am supposed to :)

Good luck with your weigh in!!