An old friend with whom I need to become reacquainted

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Do You Want To Know???

A few nights ago, I wasn't feeling too great at the end of the day. I was tired, achy, hungry, and had a little headache. Patrick felt like I was being really grumpy, too. I wasn't aware that I was acting grumpy, so I'll have to be more aware in the future... I think I already mentioned this in a post last Wednesday.

After Patrick and I ate some dinner and relaxed for a bit, he asked me if I was feeling any better. My response was that I was feeling a lot of tenderness in my joints and general aching...no improvement from earlier in the evening. He gave me a funny look and said pointedly, "I was talking about your headache."

So after a minute or two, I asked him, "Do you want me to tell you when I'm not feeling well?" His response was that it was a complicated answer.

I would like to know if he wants to be informed about how I'm feeling, because it might be helpful for him to know why I'm really tired or why I might seem grumpy, rather than wondering what in the hell my problem is.

I think one of his big frustrations about it all is that the cause or the reason for a "flare-up" is unknown at this point. I get that.

I don't get why he doesn't want to at least know if I don't feel well and maybe, just maybe be a little sensitive toward me.

Is this a common reaction for men/husbands????? If anyone reads this blog and has any experience with this, please comment. I know Patrick loves me and cares about me, and I also believe that things happen for a reason. There could be some amazing personal growth to come from this (for both of us)! I sure hope so!!

I need a support group! I don't really want to have my friends be my constant support group, because I'm sure they get sick of hearing about how my body hurts. There's more to life than how my joints feel at any given moment. But for now, that's a big thing on my mind. Oh, what to do??

No support at home, and I feel guilty about "expecting" constant support from my friends.

1 comment:

♥ N o v a said...

He sounds like my husband.

I think part of the problem is that guys like to find a solution to everything. When we're not feeling well, they think that there is some magic pill out there that will cure whatever ails us, and then it's like they don't want to hear about it again. At least, that's the feeling I get from my husband. He can't stand it when I'm not feeling well. Part of it could be that my aches and pains take away some of my attention towards him. It sounds so stupid, but that's what I suspect.