An old friend with whom I need to become reacquainted

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

battle wounds!!!

I had an interesting softball game on Monday. It was a really competitive game, and it was certainly coming up to the last inning for one of the teams to take the victory.

So, I was up to bat. I can't remember how many outs we had. I'll say we had two outs; that makes the story sound a little more heroic. :)

I hit the ball toward short stop, not a strong hit, really. So I ran HARD, as hard as I could. Is I got to first base, I knew the ball was coming, that it was going to be very very close. So I pushed harder. And collided with the first baseman.

I swear I hit a brick wall. Spectators said I rolled twice. I don't remember. I just remember thinking, mid-air, "fall like a pro, Alison...tuck and roll!" Yet I still braced my fall with my right wrist, then I hit the ground hard on my right side, mostly the elbow, and somewhere along the way hit my left knee and left quad. There's a little scratch on my right knee too.

When I stopped rolling around, I was on my knees, and my right arm hurt, bad. I bent down and tears started coming out of my eyes. One of the guys on my team rushed over and asked me if I was okay. I think I said no, or that I wasn't sure. So, I walked over to the base and started crying some more. My mouth was full of rocks and dirt, crunching into my teeth as I chewed on the gum I had in my mouth.

The same guy asked if I wanted someone to run for me, and we only had 5 girls there, so there wasn't really the room to have someone else run in my place. I rinsed my mouth out and stayed at first base, ready to run. It sucked.

I actually made it in to score, then got up to bat one more time before the inning was over. My right arm wouldn't bend enough and hurt so bad that I had to just hold it up with my left hand gripping the bat. I swung through the ball using mostly my left arm and whatever momentum I could muster. I don't even remember if I got on base, but it was a surprisingly decent hit.

We were back on the field, the end of the inning and the end of the game. I was so pissed about my arm hurting and not knowing how bad it was, I kept sporadically tearing up. None of the balls were hit or thrown to me, which was a very good thing. While standing in position at second base, I tried to do the arm motion of throwing a ball, though there was no ball in my hand. When I extended my arm at the point where I would release a ball, my elbow popped and hurt intensely.

The game ended. We won. :) I lost. Haha!

Two days later, my arm still hurts like crazy. It won't extend or bend all the way. It aches and holding it in a position that won't hurt is making my bicep and tricep muscles ache and my shoulder sore. And something is wrong with my wrist. When I rub my fingers over the bone, it sends an electric shock down my hand, into my pointer finger. It feels like there's swelling at/on the bone, so I hope it's not broken or cracked or something.

I can't lift anything. I can't do my hair, put makeup on, eat, brush my teeth, wipe my ass, or scratch my face with my right hand. All of this is left-handed, which is a little awkward! Washing my hair was a huge pain in the ass.

I got my shift at work today covered, and I really need my arm to feel good enough that I can work Friday and Saturday. I can't afford to be unable to work.

All I can say is:

Thank goodness I wasn't out.

and

Thank goodness we won the game.

I would have been upset to eat dirt for nothing.

No comments: